Windows 7 got some improved features than Vista including speed of network. Sometimes you may notice the network slowness compare to XP due to more advanced features and requirements. These 6 easy steps to help solving Windows 7 network slow problem by disabling some features.
Network is a major factor in computing. Windows 7 computers will be slow in accessing shares on old MS Windows servers and non MS Operating systems including Sun and Linux. Accessing data and transferring data over network are still problem in this case. Resolving DNS requests internally (LAN or WAN) and externally (Internet) also could be slow in Windows 7. The following methods will speed up Windows 7 networking with NT, 2003 and Sun servers.
How to Disable Autotuning in Windows 7
Disabling autotuning will help much on DNS lookup and network discovery. It improves the data transfer speed also over the network. Disabling autotuning in windows 7 is very similar to Windows vista method.
- Start command prompt as administrator.
- Type in the below command
- Netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
- This will disable the autotuning function in vista TCP/IP networking, which will help you to solve most of the problems.
To see the result of the command, you can type,
- Netsh interface tcp show global
- Now type - Netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
To make these two settings again to the default setting, you can use following commands,
- Netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal
- Netsh interface tcp set global rss=enabled